Digital Distribution Thread (Collection, Updates, and Sales!)

VixyNyan · 326171

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #1100 on: February 20, 2015, 04:15:31 PM
I wish Falcom would bring Popful Mail out of retirement, honestly.

I'd love to see a re-release of that.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1101 on: February 20, 2015, 04:26:01 PM
I'd be down for that since it'd likely be put with a publisher that doesn't increase the difficulty by doubling the damage on every goddamn enemy.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1102 on: February 26, 2015, 04:58:25 PM
Nintendo did us a solid this week.

ALL THREE DONKEY KONG COUNTRY GAMES ON WII U VC TODAY.

As opposed to them being over the next month. No DKL though.
EDIT: I lied, the DKL games are on the 3DS this week too.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1103 on: February 27, 2015, 12:32:53 AM
Which DKC was the best? I keep hearing great things about them.

And I already know that the music alone is [tornado fang]ing orgasmic.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1104 on: February 27, 2015, 12:34:52 AM
Donkey Kong Country 2 imo.

Amazing levels, huge number of secrets and hidden areas to unlock. Many new animal friends and bonus level types. Best music of the series IMO, and amazing atmosphere. Oh and the bosses are a blast.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1105 on: February 27, 2015, 12:37:12 AM
General consensus is 2, but they're all solid titles. The first is arguably lacking in much of an identity as the later ones, being called a Mario Clone often times. 3 meanwhile sort of ups on level gimmicks a lot and on a lesser note has a bit of divide in terms of the music for both the original and GBA remake.

edit: too slow

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1106 on: February 27, 2015, 12:39:24 AM
Yeah all three are amazing games. Donkey Kong Country Returns is amazing too, haven't played the sequel yet though.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1107 on: February 27, 2015, 12:41:09 AM
I never finished Returns because those rocket levels are [tornado fang]ing garbage. I hear Tropical Freeze is better though. I'll probably get it if I ever buy a Wii U.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1108 on: February 27, 2015, 12:49:12 AM
DKC2 is still my favorite. Hell, one could make the argument that it's the best platformer of all time.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1109 on: February 27, 2015, 12:56:51 AM
DKC2 is still my favorite. Hell, one could make the argument that it's the best platformer of all time.

Very true, it's easily one of the best designed 2D platforms I've ever played. But the music---so good!

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1110 on: February 27, 2015, 01:00:15 AM
Okay then, DKC2 it is!

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1111 on: February 27, 2015, 01:01:37 AM
Very true, it's easily one of the best designed 2D platforms I've ever played. But the music---so good!

Oh lord yes. One of the best soundtracks. Mining Melancholy is one of my all time favorites, because I'm a fan of any song that uses an anvil as an instrument.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1112 on: February 27, 2015, 01:06:41 AM
This is my personal favorite from DKC 2.

[Donkey Kong 2 OST] JibJig

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1113 on: February 27, 2015, 01:20:00 AM
Yup, going to agree with DKC2.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1114 on: February 27, 2015, 01:22:07 AM
Which DKC was the best? I keep hearing great things about them.

And I already know that the music alone is [tornado fang]ing orgasmic.

I've grown up with these games. So I'll give the really long, detailed explanations.

DKC 1 is the only one where Donkey Kong himself is playable. Its sort of a mellow game, music is quieter, the only real gimmick stages are the ones that are 80% Barrel Blasting, Stop & Go Station, Blackout Basement and the awesome Minecart stages. Its also insane fuckballs hard especially in the Ice stages and the Factory levels (of which there aren't enough of, the Factory levels are the coolest). Animal Buddies are there but nobody but Rambi and Enguarde ever come back after this game (Squawks doesn't count in this game, he's a light in one of the cave stages, that's pretty much it.) Secrets in this game can be obscure as [parasitic bomb], leaps of faith and whatnot, hell one bonus stage is hidden... in ANOTHER BONUS STAGE, getting 101% doesn't do anything special either. Its a great game, but lesser to the other ones.

DKC2 ups the difficulty a bit in some places, adds new stuff that would become common in the later games, coins to buy stuff (though in DKC2 they're only used for hints, saving more than once in a world, using Funky the first time in a world, or the trivia game to earn extra lives), Bonus levels that reward you with a different kind of coin that's used to enter the secret world (that upon beating earns you a different ending) and DK coins which in this game are basically bragging rights to claim that you are better than Mario, Yoshi and Link. It also introduces Dixie Kong (Who is the best character) and has some of the best music in the series (Stickerbrush Symphony, anybody?). Its a simply amazing game.

DKC3 is notable in that both Donkey Kong AND Diddy Kong are absent, making it the only one without a character from the first game playable. There's a whole new cast of bear characters to interact with, a bunch more [parasitic bomb] to collect (But not DK64 tier yet.) with Banana Birds, DK coins, Bonus coins, Bear Coins, items you earn from bosses to get upgraded boats so you can progress to new worlds, it also has two endings (one for beating the final boss, and another for beating the boss of the Lost World AND collecting all the DK coins for the final boat AND collecting all of the Banana Birds) and a total of 105% to get (which is only possible by playing on TUFST difficulty by using a cheat code, which removes midpoint barrels). The game has a lot of gimmick stages though (Sawblade levels, Minecart stages BUT IN THE SEWER TUBES INSTEAD, a race against time stage, like five levels of just using an animal buddy, Rocket Run, etc.) and possibly the WORST animal stage in "Purple Squawks adventure through pipes with barrels and bees because he can't shoot nuts like the normal squawks can because purple squawks is a [tornado fang]ing loser". Also rambi isn't in it, instead you get Ellie the Elephant who sounds like a diseased pig when she sees rats or gets hurt, And there's also Perry the Parallel Bird, who basically exists as a reward for you if you manage to get him to the No animal sign without smacking him into a [tornado fang]ing bee. Its not without its issues (I mean, this is Rare in the middle of the 90s, three years before DK64, there's signs of that insanity already showing in this.) but I personally love the game anyway.

I say get all of them, but if you only get one get 2.

Can't really comment on the DKL games since I never played them when I was younger, but they're basically a bit messy, trying to emulate the style of the games on a handheld with 4 shades of gray/olive green doesn't really translate well.

DKL1 has some strange [parasitic bomb] though, apparently DK goes to the city, he gets bombs to blow up boulders in the paths between levels, he collects coins with his face on them, there are warp rings from Sonic, and flying pigs are enemies in addition to actual DKC enemies.

ALSO, forgot to mention this but buy any of the DKC/DKL games on the eShop and you can get a 30% discount on Tropical Freeze/Returns 3D respectively (also if you buy a DKC on the Wii U and you have your NNID linked to your 3DS you can get the discount for Returns 3D that way too and I imagine vice versa for DKL and TF.)

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #1115 on: March 08, 2015, 09:12:09 PM
someepicsalegoingonGOGdotcom goGOGO

P.S.
Freedom Planet has the honor of being my first GOG.com purchase~

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1116 on: March 09, 2015, 01:07:10 AM
Speaking of Freedom Planet...

Haven't played a lot of it but if somebody hasn't bought it yet because of bad PC or whatever I highly recommend it.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1117 on: March 09, 2015, 01:21:30 AM
Have the PC version already, but wouldn't mind buying it again, some time down the road.

Wake me up when there's a 3DS version.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #1118 on: March 09, 2015, 01:38:35 AM
Shovel Knight and Freedom Planet, finally together with U. :3

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #1119 on: March 13, 2015, 06:09:32 AM

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1120 on: March 13, 2015, 07:16:00 AM
Okay, that's pretty damn awesome!  XD

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1121 on: March 18, 2015, 06:51:57 AM
Other than that being Xboned exclusive because lolRare that's pretty snazzy.

Anyway, not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere but Wayforward is having a sale right now. Most of their games are 25% or more off. Shantae 3 is $15 right now on both 3DS and Wii U, Both Mighty Switch Force games are $1.50 on the 3DS (MSF1 on the Wii U is a bit more.) And Mighty Flip Champs DX on PSN is Free if you have PS+.

Sale only lasts till this Thursday. Also the JP eShop's getting BN4 (Both versions) this week on the Wii U. So look forward to seeing all 7 Battle Networks on the system in the future.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1122 on: March 18, 2015, 07:09:44 AM
Risky's Revenge on Steam's also dirt cheap that's why I got it.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #1123 on: March 21, 2015, 12:47:09 PM
Just got 4 games off of the imminent demise of Club Nintendo: HarmoKnight, Super Mario Land 2, Super Punch-Out!!, and Grill-Off with Ultra Hand.

Here I thought enough time had passed that the site would be more or less stable, but apparently they're not deducting coins for purchases today? o-O

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #1124 on: March 21, 2015, 01:03:04 PM
Speaking of, PAL territories finally get a games for stars reward... just before it closes...!

Eyeballing the teaser image NintendoANZ posted, Metroid Fusion and Advance Wars are what I'm looking for.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations