The "What are you currently playing?" Thread

Saber · 726139

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #4175 on: February 27, 2014, 04:18:43 PM
Finished Parasite Eve 2 in 6 hours. This game is pretty cool. Pity that for like 70% of the story it feels like nothing happens, and then suddenly the end game explodes into all these crazy twists and urgent sequences.

I love how "faithful" it is to the classic Resident Evil games. The puzzles were less cryptic than I remembered (only looked up the location of a certain password, everything else made sense enough). Although it must be said that I didn't get the best ending, so yeah.

I played on Replay mode, which explains why it was so easy. To be honest I'm not in a hurry to try the other difficulty modes. The combat is too clunky and annoying for me right now. Overall, PE1 is my favorite, though I wish it had some of the improvements of the sequel.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4176 on: March 02, 2014, 08:36:25 AM
Thief is a disappointment. It's not a BAD game... But it's significantly worse than the first two, and only a little better than Deadly Shadows from a gameplay perspective. I can't seem to stay hooked on it either, so in the meantime, I've been playing BlazBlue and Far Cry 2.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #4177 on: March 04, 2014, 07:49:23 AM
ToS HD.

First impressions/observations:

-Textures are still muddy SD textures, presumably so they don't look out of place, the same applies to the new costumes.
-Costumes still locked to titles, because [tornado fang] effort lets just make it so you can't play dress-up and still get level up bonuses.
-Still no Voiced skits, but the game lets you switch between English and Japanese whenever you have menu access so I try to switch it to Japanese for skits but keep it in English at all other points.
-Framerate is locked at 30fps, this isn't a big deal for the field since that's how it always was but in areas and battles its very noticable.
-Music seems quiet at times, but that could've been because I was playing on a 5.1 system.

Apparently the general consensus is they really didn't care enough to make a really good HD remaster, just a somewhat okay one.

The collector's edition goodies are [tornado fang]ing great though. I love the inclusion of the complete soundtrack for both games.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4178 on: March 04, 2014, 07:38:27 PM
Picked up Tales of the Abyss 3D today. Doing that.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4179 on: March 04, 2014, 08:04:16 PM
Galactic Civilizations 2, started a new game since a random event race in my last campaign kinda murdered every species including mine.  XD

Offline Suppercut ♡

• Toaster Catgirl Sniper
  • Neo Arcadian
  • something something All Limiters Released
    • View Profile
    • Ironically Opressing Oppression
Reply #4180 on: March 05, 2014, 07:19:20 PM
I got hooked on Katawa CRASH again, which prompted me to load up Katawa Shoujo for the first time since I got my new computer. No flowcharts, just wit and instinct.

what

Offline Arikado

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #4181 on: March 05, 2014, 10:19:57 PM
Project X Zone

This game just goes on and on...

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #4182 on: March 05, 2014, 10:42:01 PM
Project X Zone

This game just goes on and on...

I think something awful said it best, but its best to not try and play large swaths of the game at once. Just like a mission a day because otherwise you burn yourself out.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #4183 on: March 06, 2014, 12:20:24 AM
Mugen no Frontier EXCEED
Project X Zone (for the third time)
Bravely Default
Super Robot Taisen OG

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4184 on: March 06, 2014, 12:28:21 AM
gavin

what are you doing

you can't just come back randomly

stahp it

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #4185 on: March 06, 2014, 01:21:33 AM

Work work work work work work work work Vindictus work work work work work work work work work work work

Offline Arikado

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #4186 on: March 06, 2014, 04:35:15 AM
I think something awful said it best, but its best to not try and play large swaths of the game at once. Just like a mission a day because otherwise you burn yourself out.
Sounds about right.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #4187 on: March 06, 2014, 06:06:40 PM
Extremely hyped for Dark Souls 2. I hate having to wait 10 days (after release) to play the game, but knowing the game stores around here, it could have been worse... *fingers crossed* *praise the sun* *Umbasa*

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4188 on: March 06, 2014, 07:21:34 PM
Lords of Shadow 2. Im finding it very hard to put down.  Has its issues,  but overall i think its positives outweigh the few negatives.

Particularly: this game is pretty. very very pretty. And the music is great. Much improvement over the original's score, which was good, but perhaps a bit too generically "big budget Hollywood ".

The reviews are all mostly full of bullshit.Though sadly its turning people away.

I'm trying the LoS 2 Demo on Steam and I'm surprised how good the game looks on my laptop. I've only played a little bit with the keyboard, but the combat system is much improve from what I can see. You can swap weaons mid-combo, and Jump+Attack does a rising attack. I don't know if Jest Defends/Parry's are possible with "unblockable" attacks yet. I kinda like the Mouse control, but I'm using the keyboard keys for now, but I'll just end up using one of my gamepads anyway. Print Screen doesn't seem to work for screenshots. I might buy this eventually, but it seems way to foreign for me to buy it for the IP or the Gameplay. At best, it's on par with or improves on Curse of Darkness.

Offline Suppercut ♡

• Toaster Catgirl Sniper
  • Neo Arcadian
  • something something All Limiters Released
    • View Profile
    • Ironically Opressing Oppression
Reply #4189 on: March 06, 2014, 10:15:09 PM
My uncle has been working himself dry around the house doing chores he wasn't assigned to do. So, I gave him my Gameboy and the copy of Sapphire my friend lent me and told him he was not allowed to do any extraneous chores until he could bring me back the cart with a save in which he has beaten the Elite Four.

Being less of a gamer than the rest of us (but still interested in gaming, just not as experienced as the household was), his growth was surprising. He's definitely doing better than TPP, beating Roxanne in a little under a few hours. Still having a bit of trouble remembering where everything is, but he's got a decent team together already.

That's besides the point, though, I just wanted to explain my motives behind getting inspired to pick up a Pokemon game again, so I got Emerald on my phone. So there's that.

what

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4190 on: March 06, 2014, 11:08:08 PM
Just beat Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze with 200%

Probably gonna wrap up Bravely Default soon now

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4191 on: March 07, 2014, 07:02:30 PM
Extremely hyped for Dark Souls 2. I hate having to wait 10 days (after release) to play the game, but knowing the game stores around here, it could have been worse... *fingers crossed* *praise the sun* *Umbasa*
Been playing Demons Souls and Dark Souls in preperation for Dark Souls II, I am so prepared to die...again. Common FROM My body is ready for this game.  8D

First game other than Dark Souls I ever put money down for the special edition, I really want that statue and cloth world map. >.>

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #4192 on: March 10, 2014, 08:54:29 PM
I'd really like that special edition, but it'll be uber expensive around here! Oh well, I'll be happy enough with the game. :) Can't wait!

Been playing old-school survival horror games and Ninja Gaiden NES to pass the time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #4193 on: March 11, 2014, 01:33:28 AM
Armored Core: For Answer.

That "Destruction Path" ending has one of the most ludicrous back-to-back low/high difficulty spikes that I've ever seen.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4194 on: March 11, 2014, 08:38:46 AM
Tales of Symphonia for Wii and Pokemon Rumble. It plays, almost, but not completely unlike Pokemon. Which is to say, it's fun.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4195 on: March 11, 2014, 11:25:16 AM
Some Donkey Kong 64 since I've never beaten it (currently at Fungi Forest with the previous 4 stages all 100%) and also a little bit of DuckTales Remastered to see how quickly I can beat it just for fun (and because I'm challenging a friend who's doing the same thing).

Never gonna get close to Sato's 33 minute time, but I am proud of my recent 49:08 lol

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #4196 on: March 11, 2014, 06:42:48 PM
A text adventure called First Times.  It has a lousy text parser, and uses commands such as "use," which is hardly ever used in other text adventures.  I'm currently plowing my way through the second puzzle and have been backtracking and will need to redraw my map.

Offline Mr. Haxwell

• Totally hax
  • Master's Unit
  • The guy feeding off on your hate
    • View Profile
Reply #4197 on: March 11, 2014, 07:52:57 PM
Decided to quit Touhoumon, and move on to Pokemon Soul Silver (didn't feel like continuing the Liquid Crystal Rom hack, though).

Fear me.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #4198 on: March 13, 2014, 02:13:55 AM
Playing Lost Pig.  I just took my pants off and set them on fire.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #4199 on: March 13, 2014, 01:28:05 PM
Nostalgia trip on the PS1: X-Men vs. Street Fighter.

I was all over this game back in the day, but the PS1 port sucks. Due to hardware limitations, this is not a tag-team fighter like the arcade classic. You do pick a second character, but they're used only for assists and specials. And the load times are horrible in this version.

Anyway, the full game is one of my favorite Capcom VS crossovers, maybe because it's not as complicated as the more recent ones. I was pretty decent with Rogue, and it wasn't too difficult to pick a second Street Fighter character since they have the same moves as in SF2 and Alpha.

I also prefer this game's roster over the first sequel. They added Sakura and freaking Dan to MSHvsSF, which is baffling to me because it means there are 5 Ryu-like characters out of 9 Street Fighter members.

Last night I beat arcade mode with Rogue and Akuma. The AI difficulty is surprisingly tame for a Capcom fighter. They rarely block specials and they often let their hyper bar just sit there at Lv3. Took me a while to figure out how to beat Apocalypse, but he's no big deal either.